1.14.2005

Framing Social Security

The Liberal Frame for Social Security MyDD.com (01.12)
Actually this comes from Fred Block at the Rockridge Institute by way of MyDD...

Here's the problem: the strand of conservatism that currently dominates the Republican Party doesn't believe in increasing any kind of civilian government spending. They don't want money going to the elderly and they don't want spending for young people; all they want to do is reduce taxes and shrink government. As Grover Norquist, one of the most influential conservatives in Washington has said, "I don't want to abolish government. I simply want to reduce it to the size where I can drag it into the bathroom and drown it in the bathtub."

With this bizarre philosophy, conservatives have been systematically underinvesting in our future. While a growing body of research now shows that investing in quality early childhood education helps all children do better in school, conservatives have steadfastly resisted increasing spending for quality childcare. Fewer and fewer families are able to afford the $7000-9,000 per year per child cost of center-based care. Despite all of the President's rhetoric about leaving no child behind, our public schools remain desperately underfunded. Especially in working class and poor neighborhoods, overcrowding, lack of decent equipment, and a continuing shortage of skilled teachers are the rule, not the exception.

Oh, why did we highlight good old Grover Norquist's name? Because we believe that he's front and center in this whole thing and that you should know about anyone this influential who goes around saying things like "We are trying to change the tones in the state capitals –– and turn them toward bitter nastiness and partisanship" in print. Grover's big thing? "Starving the Beast" and while Grover may think that "the Government" is 'the Beast' we know that the Government is supposed to be us.

18 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Blogger H. Nakajima said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my small business administration home page
related site. It pretty much covers small business administration home page
stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a plane ticket to greece
It deals mostly with plane ticket to greece plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Online Incomes said...

Hey I was just blog surfing amd I found your blog! Looks Great!

I also have a airline china ticket
It deals mostly with airline china ticket plus other stuff,
You can save up to 50% your next flight!

You should check it out if you get a chance!!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger Tom Naka said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I have a child health plan plus
site/blog. It pretty much covers child health plan plus
related stuff.

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Couch Potato said...

Help me Dude, I'm lost.

I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw Elvis in the supermarket yesterday.

No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender".

He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a shiny, new plasmatv to go with that blue suede sofa of yours.

But Elvis said I, In the Ghetto nobody has a plasma tv .

Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger then I'm gonna go home and ask Michael Jackson to come round and watch that waaaay cool surfing scene in Apocalypse Now on my new plasma tv .

And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . .

"You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on "

Strange day or what? :-)

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger prallot said...

Hello!
Very interesting blog.
I will make sure to come back often to this blog.
If You really are interested in france in investing offshore I can strongly
recommend france in investing offshore
Here You can find an almost comlete directory of this subject.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger De Post Man said...

Nice posts. Check out my site http://mortgage.27days27gurus.com/ if you get a chance. mortgage protection

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Me!! said...

Search this thing - it is hilarious how people cant even spell right when they are selling something on eBay

Misspelledauctions.com

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Johnjon said...

Wow, I really like this one. I have a website that talks mostly about kid earn money You should check it out sometime.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger George said...

cheap business softwareThe Quick And Easy Way To Organize Your Lifecheap business software

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Erik Mann said...

I was searching for blogs that had Dallas, TX in them and came across yours. I live in Dallas and have a self defense school. I like the posts on your blog, so I've bookmarked it to stop back by periodically. Take care.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger blaze said...

I enjoyed your site very much it was a great help looking for info on college student health insurance.
I also have a site with information on college student health insurance and would appreciate it very much if you would take a look and give a critique.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Goodman441 said...

Hello, this is a great blog on personal loan online, Please visit my site when you get a chance at http://www.loanofficial.com

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Jani said...

Hey here is a site that actually gives away FREE tickets to Las Vegas shows. They have other useful information regarding Las Vegas getaways and jubilee tickets Check it out jubilee tickets

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Investment Center said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a advice investing
site/blog. It pretty much covers advice investing
related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Ebook Manic said...

Hello Outsourced,

I am based in the UK and I stumbled across your post " Framing Social Security ".
I'm quite keen on finding any useful information on digital delivery. I found some good stuuf on digital delivery but I wondered whether you may have any advice on the best resources out there.

Thanks in advance.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Ebook Manic said...

Hi Outsourced,

I was busy looking for information on mydd and I came across your post " Framing Social Security ". Very interesting. If possible, have you got any ideas of where to find the best resources on mydd.

Regards

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Bill Harrison said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a cheapest loans India site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home